The following recipe makes a delicious tempeh bacon. If you are pressed for time, Lite-Life makes a tempeh bacon called "Fakin Bacon," which will cook the same as in the recipe below.
Ingredients: *What are these foods?
- 1 8oz. package tempeh*, steamed for 15-20 minutes in a double boiler pot
- Once steamed, cut in half cross-wise, then slice thinly lengthwise into 9-10 strips
Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour (even overnight) in a mixture of the following:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar*
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard powder
- In a skillet, heat sesame oil, just enough to cover the bottom, and lay slices down evenly and flat.
- Pan fry until crisp on one side, turn and fry again until crisp on the other.
- Remove from heat, set on plate with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Serve.
Use this recipe along with the Scrambled Tofu Breakfast for a hearty meal:
Side - scrambled tofu
Side - tempeh bacon
1 slice - Sourdough bread (toasted or steamed), no added yeast, and, if desired, buttered with almond or apple butter.
1-2 slices - cantaloupe or honeydew melon, or fresh strawberries sliced thin. This balances the breakfast with beautiful visual appeal.