Anyone on a weight-loss or cholesterol-reducing program knows that eggs, bacon, sausage and buttered toast are taboo, but those whose lifestyles are very physically active might require the stronger energy of protein for breakfast from time to time. If you are in the early stages of changing your diet and find you are missing the old standard breakfast fare, here is the happy alternative you might be seeking that is high in calcium, protein, unsaturated fat (the good kind) with virtually no cholesterol or the saturated fat of eggs and meat.
- 1 pound extra firm tofu ("The Bridge" brand is the best), well-drained and crumbled
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or shoyu soy sauce
- Optional - pinch of garlic powder and black pepper
- Small amount of sesame oil
- In a skillet, heat oil just enough to cover the bottom.
- Add onion, then tofu, soy sauce and seasonings.
- Mix well, cover and cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.
For a hearty breakfast, add Tempeh Bacon.