Help For Weight Loss: The Food Mantra - 26 Vegetables And Beans
- The purpose of bread, rice - even brown rice, cereal, pastas and other grains, including bagels, toast, sandwiches, crackers, muffins. chips, cookies, is to stop and even reverse weight loss in order to prevent "starvation." This translates as causes of weight gain.
- The single greatest mistake that people make who are overweight is thinking that chicken, which has no fiber, helps weight loss. In 30 years of practice I've never had a patient lose weight or keep it off who continued to eat any chicken whatsoever. Ask yourself: "What am I eating that is keeping me overweight?" The answer will almost certainly turn out to be chicken, plus rice, bread, dairy products, pastas, and sweets. Don't buy these or have them around.
- Avoid chicken (has no fiber), dairy products (no fiber), cakes, cookies, sweets and pastries, pastas and anything that doesn't fit the Food Mantra: "FRESH, WHOLE and UNPROCESSED, ORGANIC FIBER" foods such as fruit/vegetables/beans, and later only on my specific instructions some grains. Eat only foods that are "unprocessed." Hence, while oatmeal, bread, and some pastas contain some fiber, they are full of calories and have already been "processed," lost most of their vitamins/minerals, and are to be avoided in this weight reducing plan.
- Beans like lentils, split peas and chili. Canned beans have 500% less fat and 1000% less cholesterol than skinless chicken breast for the same amount of protein. Frozen beans are the most convenient. Start with one teaspoon of beans in soups and gradually (!) increase to 4-6 ounces a day total. If gas is a problem, try "Fiber Enzyme Formula" by Prevail or other digestive enzymes. Fish is twice a week at 4-6 ounces.
- It is not "just" (only) a "fat" issue, it is a calorie issue. Grease and fats are like blowing on a fire, but "carbohydrates" such as sweets, pasta, bread or bagels, potatoes and rice - all of which contain no fat at all but are still high calorie, are like "the fire," and eating them prevents weight loss.
- Think in terms of eating as much as you can of cooked soft and warm vegetables, vegetables, vegetables, vegetables (virtually all vegetables except lettuce, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, plaintain, eggplant, zucchini, and root vegetables like yuca, jicama, name, batata, and calabaza)
- I want (!!) you to eat unlimited ("tons and tons") of the correct vegetables, cooked soft but still with good color and use our vegetable soup recipe. Quick Soup: Mix 4lb frozen veggies with 1 package of frozen beans, 2 cans of Health Valley (Minestrone and Corn and Vegetable) Soups, 2 inches water and cook till soft and warm in a large stainless pot.
- Eat so much of these that is seems if you are "trying to gain weight" by eating these. As they are so low in calories that even when you "stuff" yourself with these low calorie vegetables, there will be no room for the higher calorie foods. This is how you lose weight. Cooked fruit may be permitted.
- Vitamins, minerals, guar gum capsules with 8 ounces water (Read and follow the directions), pectin capsules, garcinia cambogia, chickweed, dandelion root, chromium GTF, and Country Life magnesium caps (1 or more a day) may be appropriate for you.
H. Robert Silverstein, MD